Quondong's History

a

Quondong Oakbank Station has no creeks or underground water, which has shaped it's history.

image: 120 year old black oak fence line.

The area now known as Quondong Oakbank Station has no creeks traversing the land scape and no underground water and this distinguishing feature has dictated its history for thousands of years. The original peoples were the Danggali, (also known as the Thangkaali) made up of four, small family groups, who roamed across 25,000 km2 of arid mallee lands, west of the Darling River and across the plains southwest of Broken Hill, to the Burra Creek. The indigenous people in this dry land drew their water from the roots of the red mallee, (eucalyptus socialis) and hakea (hakea leucoptera). In the late 1800s when brought into the white settlements the Danggali, it is reported, lost all interest in hunting and their traditional ways, and preferred to eat the station cats. Again, it is reported the clans died out from “heartbrokenness”

Quondong Oakbank Station now comprises of 2 Crown Land Pastoral leases, however Quondong Station was originally 3 leases, all of which were unviable due to the lack of water, and the huge expense of digging dams with horse and scoop. An original 1912 invoice for digging the dams at Oakbank Station was 829 pounds, 19 shillings and 10 pence

In 1869 Thomas Elder, the founding father of the Australian pastoral company Elders, established Quondong Run. Not finding water he became a land speculator and divided the area into 3 pastoral leases, which were known as Quondong Vale, Drayton’s Run and an area of southern paddocks and part of Pine Valley station to the southeast. These leases had various owners, Scott Henry being the owner of Quondong Vale when poor George Theeuff died down a well on 23rd of January 1896. His Lonely Grave is beside the airstrip. After many years of hardship including the Federation Drought and rabbit plagues, (over a 4-month period in 1906 over 26,791 rabbits we killed on Quondong Vale), James Gallagher purchased Quondong Vale in 1888 and between 1901 and 1909 acquired the other two leases, that are now the current Quondong Station. Gallagher held the station for 59 years after which it was purchased by the Gosse/Findlay/ Owen Smyth consortium who owned Oakbank Station and thus in 1965 the station became a single unit. In 1983 Doug Morphett purchased Quondong and he held it for 15 years. The current owners purchased Quondong in 2003. Quondong Oakbank Station is 365,140 acres or 1477 sqkm and carries Smooth Rolling Skin (SRS) Merino sheep, producing fine, ethically grown wool.

Due to the lack of natural resources, including water, less than 1% of Quondong Oakbank Station is under Aboriginal Land rights.

Today weather

- Humidity: 82%

- Wind: 1.26m/s

5°c
Sun
13°c
Mon
10°c
Tue
10°c
Wed
10°c
Thu
13°c
Your journey starts here

© 2022 Quondong station – Website by digital daddy

© 2022 Quondong station

Website by digital daddy